Jolt is a non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Jolt Initiative is seeking a well-organized individual with experience managing teams and projects to become its next Project Manager. The Project Manager oversees complex projects, creating alignment on benchmarks and goals, delegating tasks based on job descriptions and expertise, and ensuring all projects are delivered on time and under budget. The Project Manager will dedicate 75% of their time to Movement Mujeres, a joint project of Deeds not Words and Jolt Initiative, that seeks to lift up the leadership of women of color in Texas. The other 25% will be spent on ongoing organizational priorities.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee the Movement Mujeres fellowship to ensure it fulfills its mission and achieves its outcomes, including:
- Supervise the two-year fellowship program that will attract women of color leaders from across Texas
- Oversee the successful coordination and delivery of quarterly fellowship gatherings
- Collaborate with Deeds Not Words to develop the quarterly curriculum
- Report financial expenditures, progress towards goals, and future plans to the Movement Mujeres Advisory Council on a quarterly basis
- Coordinate with the Deeds Not Words Policy Advocate and other partners to identify key intervention points, and with the organizing team at Jolt to engage members
- Manage large events and projects within Jolt and:
- Develop comprehensive project plans to share with relevant staff members
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and on budget
- Assist in the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders
- Track project progress and escalate shortcomings to management as needed
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- Delegate project tasks based on individual strengths, skill sets and job description
- Represent the organization at partner meetings
- Minimum 3-years project management experience
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and social change
- Excellent verbal and written communicator
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends
- Experience working with diverse partners and coalition building
- Knowledge of project management techniques and best practices
- Adaptability: Demonstrates a willingness to be flexible, versatile in a fast-paced working environment
- Behave Ethically: Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that their own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establishes and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Foster Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This position reports to the Organizing Director. This full-time position will be based in Austin, Dallas, or Houston, Texas
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Competitive benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume with your name and “Project Manager” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.