Jolt is a non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. The organization entered a new phase in April 2021, when Gloria Gonzales-Dholakia took over as Executive Director. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Multimedia Specialist is responsible for ensuring compelling digital content is delivered across all Jolt’s digital platforms. The MultiMedia Specialist will play a critical role in ensuring uniform representation of Jolt’s brand across social media, e-mails, newsletters, and other public-facing platforms.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Assist in the creation of all Jolt media campaigns
- Maintain the organization’s website (navigation and curation)
- Collaborate with the Digital Media Specialist and Artists in Residence to execute the Jolt vision
- Participate in event planning and community activities that are the responsibility of the Communications Department and Executive Director’s Office.
- Assist in maintaining the Organization’s yearly events calendar
- Support the Communications Director in preparing and sending press releases and media advisories
- Create and repurpose multi-media content for various platforms
- Available via telephone or email during an emergency.
- Work flexible hours; evening and/or weekend work required
- Perform other duties as assigned
PERSONAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field (essential).
- Fluency in Spanish and English, verbal and written
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and progressive political change
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends, and work extended hours to accomplish the requirements of the position
- A minimum of 5 years experience in communications strategy development (essential).
- Capability to work against urgent deadlines and manage challenging political messaging situations
- Superb writing, editing, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in and across diverse communities, particularly race, class, gender, and geography
- Works well under pressure and meets tight deadlines.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, Google Suite, and other communication tools.
- Content writing experience for all media platforms.
- Proven social media and networking expertise.
- Strategic and creative mindset.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- A portfolio of work available for review.
This position is based in Austin, Dallas, or Houston, TX and reports to the Communications Director. Jolt is accepting and reviewing resumes on a rolling basis.
This position pays $35,000 – $50,000 per year depending on experience. Jolt’s benefit package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and a cover explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to email@example.com with your name and the job title in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.