Jolt Initiative 501c3
Jolt is a non-profit organization founded in 2016 to increase the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of young Latinos in Texas to tell their own stories through creative arts and acts, development institutes, and student leadership.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Jolt aims to harness the power of Latino culture to empower young Latinos and transform the political landscape in Texas. Our programs focus on voter registration and mobilization efforts, leadership development, and civic engagement.
Jolt’s work occurs under the umbrella of the Jolt Initiative and Jolt Action. The Jolt Initiative is a 501c3 non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos through voter registration and leadership development programs. For more information, visit https://www.joltinitiative.org/.
The Jolt Initiative has openings on the Board of Directors and is seeking applicants who can bring their time and talent to provide vision and governance for the organization. This includes ensuring the fiscal health of the organization, hiring a permanent Executive Director, participating in the strategic planning process, and advocating for Jolt initiatives.
BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Active membership: Regularly attend and participate in board meetings. The board meets at least 4 times per year virtually.
- Governance: Be knowledgeable of the organization’s mission, programs, goals, finances, challenges, policies, and by-laws. Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal laws.
- Fiscal oversight and fundraising: Review and approve the annual budget. Aid in fundraising efforts to achieve annual fundraising goals. Board members are required to make an annual personal financial contribution at a level that is meaningful and comfortable to them.
- External Relations: Serve as an ambassador for the organization.
- Confidentiality: Maintain the confidentiality of all board matters and the Executive Director by not sharing materials or speaking about board matters to any non-board member.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
We’re seeking candidates in and with a personal connection to Texas. Strong consideration will be given to candidates with competencies in the following areas:
- Employment law
- Financial Expertise
- Previous experience as a youth organizer and/or with the Texas Legislature
- Previous involvement in political or community engagement work in rural communities
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.