Jolt is a non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. The organization entered a new phase in April 2021, when Gloria Gonzales-Dholakia took over as Executive Director. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Jolt seeks a Political Specialist to conduct research and analysis of public policy relevant to our constituents. Research and advocacy is primarily focused in the areas of voting rights, climate justice, jobs and economy, immigration, healthcare, and education. The successful candidate will conduct research and analysis, draft internal policy briefs, monitor and track developments to aid Jolt’s youth leadership development and voter education efforts. This position reports to the Deputy Director.
KEY PRIORITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research and write internal summaries that contribute to the communication of the organization’s core issue areas
- Research and track legislation at the local, state, and federal level to determine potential impact on and relevance to the Latino community
- Collaborate with the Director of Programs and Training and Curriculum Specialist to provide member political education
- Gather and analyze research regarding messaging to Texas Latinos as it relates to Jolt’s core issues.
- Collaborate with Director of Programs to organize lobbying opportunities for Jolt members
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal legislation related to Latino population
- Ability to perform skilled research and policy analysis
- Skilled in written communication and the ability to communicate issues succinctly and professionally
- Ability to apply logic and critical thinking to evaluate issues in order to identify strengths and weaknesses and offer various options, solutions, and approaches
- Ability to work in and facilitate cross-functional teams
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred from accredited college or university with a degree in Policy, Public Administration, Public Affairs, Political Science, Law, Economics, Research Science, or a related field of study
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in policy analysis, related political experience, or other areas of analysis that can advance Jolt’s vision and mission
- Experience may substitute for education at a level deemed appropriate for the position
This position is based in Austin, Texas and reports to the Deputy Director. Jolt is reviewing resumes on a rolling basis with preference given to applicants applying before September 15, 2021.
This position pays $50,000 – $65,000 per year depending on experience. Jolt’s benefit package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and a cover explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to email@example.com with your name and the job title in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.