JOB DESCRIPTION – DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMS
Jolt Initiative 501c3 & Jolt Action 501c4
Jolt is a non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceañera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. The organization entered a new phase in April 2021, when Gloria Gonzales-Dholakia took over as Executive Director. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Programs will be responsible for identifying opportunities for growth, developing and meeting weekly and long-term goals, and overseeing the regional programming staff. The Director of Programs will be responsible for working directly with the Regional Managers to develop and implement a statewide voter mobilization plan and strategic coordination of Jolt’s programming. During the Legislative Session, the Director of Programs will work with the Sr. Policy Analyst and will be responsible for monitoring and implementing a plan to carry out the organization’s legislative priorities. Position reports to the Executive Director.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Create and manage statewide voter registration and GOTV strategies
- Develop and implement statewide grassroots engagement programs
- Assist in developing short and long-term messaging strategy GOTV program
- Manage regional staff and provide guidance to ensure successful programs and actions that support Jolt’s core issues.
- Foster relationships with legislators, statewide elected officials and their staff
- Coordinated program planning and structure for regional programming to ensure accurate reporting, clear communication, and radical transparency.
- Develop strategic long-term program goals and programmatic budgets with both Executive Director and Deputy Director.
- Create dashboards and metrics for monitoring voter identification, registration, canvassing priorities, voter contact, and volunteer recruitment for all regions to work jointly.
- Monitor and oversee progress during the Legislative Session to ensure passage of Jolt’s Legislative Priorities.
- Create program measurement tools, oversee data collection in Every Action and evaluate outcomes.
- Ensure and direct the development of regular and timely programmatic updates across all programs to ensure cross-pollination of ideas, knowledge-building, and resource sharing. This includes helping to develop a knowledge management system and supporting processes.
- Meet with Regional Managers on a weekly basis to ensure alignment of all programs.
- Work with the Executive Director and Development Director to plan fundraising strategies and events.
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university and at least 7 years’ experience in a nonprofit advocacy organization; with emphasis on campaign management.
- Excellent analytical, writing, speaking, and advocacy skills;
- Outstanding organizational and communications skills, including ability to work independently and as part of a team with staff at all levels;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and remain composed and focused under pressure;
- Experience in coalition building and building relationships with a variety of stakeholders a must;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in Spanish preferred;
- Knowledge of social justice issues preferred.
- Experience in both a c3 and c4 required.
This position is based in Austin, Houston, or Dallas, Texas and reports to the Executive Director. Jolt is reviewing resumes on a rolling basis with preference given to applicants applying before May 1, 2021.
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Jolt’s benefit package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and a cover explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to email@example.com with your name and the job title in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.