JOB DESCRIPTION—Communications Intern
Jolt Initiative 501c3 & Jolt Action 501c4
Jolt is a non-profit organization founded in 2016 to increase the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of young Latinos in Texas to tell their own stories through creative arts and acts, development institutes, and student leadership.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Jolt is seeking a content creator to help build our brand on TikTok. This fellowship role will be responsible for creating impactful, unique, and culturally-relevant content for the @JoltAction TikTok account.
Candidates should have strong creative and video skills, as well as a knack for social media, appreciation of the influencer space and a strong passion and knowledge of the social justice space. Candidates should be eager to take charge of our TikTok account by tapping into effective social and digital trends and campaigns that motivate our audience to grow organically and join us in our mission to empower young Latinos through civic engagement.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create weekly content for the @JoltAction TikTok account
- Engage with TikTok followers and monitor conversations from the brand’s voice.
- Assist in the creation of graphics for Jolt events, campaigns, announcements or call-to-actions.
- Identify and communicate with up-and-coming TikTok influencers and creators whose values and goals align with Jolt Action
- Keep your pulse on the latest TikTok and emerging platform trends, and propose ideas on how we can show up on these platforms
- Report on performance and growth metrics and advise the Communications team accordingly to drive the Jolt Action brand successfully on TikTok.
- Use Canva and/or Photoshop to create TikTok/reels content in Jolt voice
The Communications Intern must demonstrate competence in the following:
- Experience in communications, media relations and social media, including proven writing and editing skills, especially on TikTok
- Experience in graphic design
- Extremely organized and detail oriented;
- Proven capacity to multitask in a fast-paced work environment
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Communicate Effectively: Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization, and work independently to solve problems
- Minimum 6 months experience in social media content creation
- Ability to meet with communications team as needed
- Experience or interest in working with underrepresented and/or diverse communities
- Bilingual, Spanish language preferred
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Jolt
This position is based in Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, or San Antonio, TX and reports to the Communications Director. Jolt is reviewing resumes on a rolling basis with preference given to applicants who apply by June 30, 2022.
This fellowship pays $20 per hour for a period of up to 40 weeks.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and a cover explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the job title in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.