JOB ANNOUNCEMENT OPERATIONS & HR DIRECTOR
Jolt Initiative 501c3 & Jolt Action 501c4
Jolt Initiative is a 501c3 non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt Action is a 501c4 non-profit organization that builds the political power and influence of Latinos in our democracy. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2020, Latinos will make up the largest ethnic group in the state. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun Ramirez, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Jolt seeks an Operations & HR Director to build and manage the HR and Operational procedures necessary to support its rapid growth. This is an exciting opportunity to help our young organization build the infrastructure necessary to change the way Texas is run. The Operations & HR Director will drive Jolt’s talent acquisition, management, and development initiatives; ensure that all human resources responsibilities are carried out smoothly and effectively in full compliance with relevant regulations; and ensure that Jolt’s multiple offices are well-coordinated and productive by managing procedures and coaching people.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Craft talent acquisition strategies to build strong pipelines for future growth at Jolt and work with Jolt leadership to identify skills gaps
- Create career development plans for existing Jolt staff, including individual and team training programs, retention programs and team-building activities
- Support the hiring and onboarding of new Jolt staff
- Manage Jolt’s administrative support staff
- Oversee employee performance evaluations at the 90 day mark and annually
- Develop protocols for a variety of HR and operational matters and ensure organization-wide compliance
- Advance the annual benefits enrollment process including plan selection
- Serve as the point of contact for any HR needs from staff, including grievances and violations invoking disciplinary action
- Plan and monitor the day-to-day running of business to ensure smooth progress
- Evaluate organizational risk and lead quality assurance efforts
- Manage procurement processes for Jolt offices across the state
- 3+ years of experience in human resources
- 3+ years of operations management experience
- Experience managing and working with high-performing staff
- Experience designing, maintaining and improving organizational HR and operations processes
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher education degree
- A track record of working effectively with diverse communities
- Knowledge of legal rules and guidelines governing Texas non-profits
- Familiarity with Google Drive and Microsoft Office Suite
- Human Resources certification preferred
ABILITIES & SKILLS
- Maintain professionalism and strict confidentiality
- Dependable and trustworthy
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meeting frequent deadlines
- Strong communication and organizational skills, showing attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Systems thinking with ability to synthesize information and communicate effectively
- Diplomatic, mature approach to problem solving and the ability to think independently and creatively
- Passion, energy, and drive for the Jolt mission and strengthening the capacity of our members
- Willingness to travel on occasion for Jolt
LOCATION AND START DATE
This position is based in Dallas or Houston, Texas and reports to the Deputy Director. Jolt is reviewing resumes on a rolling basis with an anticipated start date of April 1, 2019.
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Jolt’s benefit package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the job title in the subject line. Only applicants that send their resumes to this email will be considered. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.