JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: DIGITAL MEDIA MANAGER
Jolt Initiative 501c3 & Jolt Action 501c4
Jolt is a non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. The organization entered a new phase in August 2019, when Antonio Arellano took over as Interim Executive Director. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Digital Media Manager is responsible for ensuring compelling digital content is delivered across all Jolt’s digital platforms. The Digital Media Manager will play a critical role in ensuring uniform representation of Jolt’s brand across social media, e-mails, newsletters, and other public-facing platforms.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Craft Jolt’s monthly member newsletter, delivered via email
- Monitor the news cycle and prepare statements from the Executive Director to respond to breaking news
- Create the branding vision for Jolt and its campaigns, and collaborate with the Digital Organizer and Artists in Residence to execute on the vision
- Capture content of actions and demonstrations happening locally
- Support the Communications Director in preparing and sending press releases and media advisories
- Supervise the Digital Organizer to create and share content on Jolt’s social media channels
- Manage the social media channels of Jolt’s Executive Director
- Track member stories in the database
PERSONAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field (essential).
- Fluency in Spanish and English, verbal and written
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and progressive political change
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends, and work extended hours to accomplish the requirements of the position
- A minimum of 5 years experience in communications strategy development (essential).
- 2+ years experience in formal supervision of staff
- Capability to work against urgent deadlines and manage challenging political messaging situations
- Superb writing, editing, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in and across diverse communities, particularly race, class, gender, and geography
- Works well under pressure and meets tight deadlines.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, Google Suite, and other communication tools.
- Content writing experience for all media platforms.
- Proven social media and networking expertise.
- Strategic and creative mindset.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- A portfolio of work available for review.
This position is based in Austin, TX, Dallas, TX, or Houston, TX and reports to the Communications Director. Jolt is accepting and reviewing resumes on a rolling basis.
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Jolt’s benefit package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and a cover explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to email@example.com with your name and the job title in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.