JOB ANNOUNCEMENT CIVIC ENGAGEMENT DIRECTOR
Jolt Initiative 501c3 & Jolt Action 501c4
Jolt Initiative is a 501c3 non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt Action is a 501c4 non-profit organization that builds the political power and influence of Latinos in our democracy. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
This position is focused on high level coordination and aligned strategy among a broad spectrum of groups at the local and state level to create a holistic plan related to sequencing of campaigns, deep organizing in swing districts, as well as learning cutting edge tools and best practices for voter and member organizing.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee a statewide campaign to register 25,000 voters and work with the voter registration managers to troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Drive forward Jolt’s legislative agenda during the 2019 legislative session
- Build and sustain relationships with our partners and allies to develop understanding of their programs and the core communities they serve, including diverse memberships, communities of color, young people, and low-income individuals
- In anticipation of the 2020 elections, craft a voter mobilization program to reach 250,000 young Latinos in key metro areas in Texas
- Support campaign coordination by tracking organizational programs and identifying gaps and intersections around shared goals and efficiencies
- Research and integrate new, cutting edge campaign tools, research, and best practice
- Work with partner organizations using the voter file and other technologies to support and enhance voter contact programs
- Organize and facilitate partner meetings, events, trainings, and direct voter contact activities.
- 5+ years of experience in civic engagement, campaigns and/or issue advocacy that includes grassroots community organizing and approaches to power-building in and outside of an electoral context
- 2+ cycles of campaign field experience
- Experience managing and working with high-performing staff and volunteers
- Experience designing, maintaining and improving a goal oriented accountability structure without compromising staff autonomy or innovation
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher education degree
- A track record of advancing racial justice and ability to work effectively with communities of color in political settings.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating coalitions and working with a diverse set of stakeholders towards common goals and a cohesive political strategy
ABILITIES & SKILLS
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meeting frequent deadlines
- Strong communication and organizational skills, showing attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills; successful at motivating staff to meet recruitment and voter contact goals
- Systems thinking with ability to synthesize information and communicate effectively
- Knowledge of the political and progressive landscape in Texas
- Familiarity with campaign and member organizing tools including use of VAN, in-person and online strategies
- Diplomatic, mature approach to problem solving and the ability to think independently and creatively
- Passion, energy, and drive for the Jolt mission and strengthening the capacity of our members
LOCATION AND START DATE
This position is based in Dallas, Texas. Jolt is accepting resumes on a rolling basis with an anticipated start date of May 1, 2019.
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Jolt’s benefit package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the job title in the subject line. Only applicants that send their resumes to this email will be considered. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.